Best Cordless Chainsaw – EGO Power+ 14″
Sometimes hedge trimmers and pruners just aren’t enough. For small trees, branches, and removal of dead limbs, a cordless chainsaw can get the job done quickly, without much effort. A cordless chainsaw gives users freedom to take care of any tree or shrub trimming job on the property, without the fuss of adding gas and oil at the right mixture.
The best cordless chainsaw combines features of low maintenance, power, and flexibility to use it on any number of jobs. The EGO Power+ 14″ Cordless Chainsaw is one model that can tackle most jobs with ease. Some of the features of this model include:
- compatiblity with all EGO powerarc+ lithium batteries (rechargeable)
- brushless motor (for smooth operation and low maintenance)
- 6,300 RPM motor
- weather resistant design. This chainsaw can be used in light rain and can handle the occasional spray from a hose or sprinkler system. This is a good feature to have for lawns with automatic watering systems. There is no need to interrupt the watering system’s schedule or time trimming between watering intervals.
- chain kickback brake. This makes the chainsaw safer to handle in a variety of situations. It also makes the saw easier to handle, as the user can maintain consistent control.
- chain tensioning knob
- oil view window
- self lubricating system
- 5 year limited warranty
While there are many more useful features, one of the best is the light weight of the chainsaw. At just over 8 pounds, it makes many trimming and cutting jobs less of a chore. Users will feel less fatigue, using a lighter model like the EGO Power+ 14″ Cordless Chainsaw.
No power tool comes without some challenges. The cons of this model are:
- limited battery life of 2 hours. For longer or all day jobs, additional lithium ion batteries should be purchased. A power outlet will be required for battery charging.
- 14″ blade is suitable for many small jobs or branches of moderate size. It will not be sufficient for cutting larger or full grown trees in some situations.
- rear handle. This is good for most jobs, but not for every job.
- may not provide enough power for some jobs. A gas motor chainsaw may be more suitable for some tougher jobs.
- larger available 7.5 volt battery is heavy. Though the chainsaw is said to be balanced, the added weight of the heavy duty battery makes it more difficult for one handed use.
- Chain oil sometimes leaks. This is true for most chainsaws. But buyers should be aware and store the chainsaw according to this, such as by placing it on a towel or rag when stored on a shelf.
- Oil not included. The chainsaw does not come with the recommended chain and blade oil. Buyers should purchase the recommended oil, for proper life of the chain and blade.
- automatic oiling feature doesn’t always work. Some previous buyers have ended up oiling the chain themselves, though this wasn’t too much of a hassle.
- the chain tension may need to be adjusted before use. Users will need to check the tension on the chain after the first couple cuts.
My Final Word
Overall, this chainsaw can provide plenty of hours of use, for light to medium jobs like trimming old branches or cutting smaller trees. It’s light weight, so it can easily be carried around, whether clearing brush or trimming the landscape.