Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer Review
Naturally, DIY project enthusiasts are the most likely to fall in love with the Graco X5 Airless Paint Sprayer. They already have the organic excitement that will help them develop a strong technique for painting. This is not to say that beginners should be discouraged from trying the Graco X5. It will just take some time for them to find an approach that works for them. The manufacturer recommends using 125 gallons of paint per year with this sprayer. The beginner should be able to put in a little practice and still have enough mileage to complete a few projects over the course of a year.
About the Graco Magnum X5
Painting or staining walls, doors, ceilings, fences and decks can be a labor-intensive task for homeowners who do not yet own the Graco Airless Paint Sprayer. This convenient home improvement tool is compact and portable, allowing users to lift it easily when trying to cover a wide area. For those who paint three to four times a year, the X5 Paint Sprayer removes the headache of assembling and disassembling equipment for each upgrade session. This Graco Airless Paint Sprayer review will weigh other solid benefits for using this kind of sprayer.
The biggest advantage of choosing this application over conventional air spray is the ability to minimize waste. When you use a traditional air spray, you are using a high-pressure air jet. This places tiny paint particles on the surface of what you are painting and in the air. Overspraying in this way wastes paint. If you were to measure the amount of paint that actually lands on your paint surface, you would find a low percentage.
As you spray, paint is also collecting in the filter. Usually, the more you spray, the more you waste. Even the solvents and paint thinners that some users apply to minimize waste does not solve this problem. Additionally, you will have an added cost in buying extra solvents. Airless systems stop waste by atomizing the paint without using air. This makes them a more cost-effective and sustainable solution, providing more control and creating a superior finish.
Top Questions About the Graco X5 Sprayer
Our Take on This Paint Sprayer
You also will need to make sure that your surfaces are extremely clean. This is vital for best results. The manufacturer suggests that you use trisodium phosphate (TSP) to wash walls and let them dry before painting. Clean exteriors by using a cleaning solution in a pressure washer. You can then visibly detect and repair any holes, cracks or uneven areas of the surface before painting.
In terms of technique, you will need to make sure the spray gun is always about 12 inches away from whatever you are painting. Start with a long and continuous motion just before pulling the trigger and keep the sprayer moving until you release the trigger. You should also try to make sure the paint lines you are creating are overlapping by about 50 percent.
- The pressure is fully adjustable and gives users the maximum paint flow control for any size project.
- The machine’s stainless steel piston pump makes it possible to use thicker paints and disburse them at high pressures. These paints do not include textured paints, however.
- The easy cleaning that this sprayer affords is possible because of a PowerFlush adapter that users can connect to a water hose.
- There are no worries for needing to reach paint surfaces that are far away. The Magnum X5 allows you to move up to 75 feet with its paint hose. This removes the need to continuously move the three buckets you will be using for each application.
- You will not experience a delay in seeing paint hit the surface because the machine has a PushPrime button that makes it happen almost immediately.
- No worries about pouring paint from a five-gallon bucket into a smaller vessel in order to use the paint in the sprayer. The flexible suction tube enables you to use the gallon bucket as a source.
- A remarkable RAC IV SwitchTip ensures your spraying will not be disrupted if there is a clog. You simply flip the switch and reverse the tip. Clogging is minimized with the Magnum X5’s SG2 metal spray gun that has filters in the gun handle to block debris.
- You can choose a maximum tip size of .15 inch.
- Checking the Throat seal liquid, or TSL, which stops paint from drying on the displacement rod.
- Confirming the tightness of the wet cup.
- Inspecting all the hoses and filters.
- Ensuring the gun trigger is still safe.
- Winterizing by keeping priming fluid in the system and sealing it and wrapping the intake tube in a plastic bag and securing it with string.
Who can use this sprayer?
Naturally, DIY project enthusiasts are the most likely to fall in love with the Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer. They already have the organic excitement that will help them develop a strong technique for painting. This is not to say that beginners should be discouraged from trying the Graco Magnum X5. It will just take some time for them to find an approach that works for them. The manufacturer recommends using 125 gallons of paint per year with this sprayer. The beginner should be able to put in a little practice and still have enough mileage to complete a few projects over the course of a year.
This model is also ideal for those who maintain rental properties and entry-level professionals. It saves owners and technicians a lot when it comes to repair costs. This machine is not best suited for large jobs needed on construction sites. This will put a severe strain on the motor and shorten the product life.
What We Did Not Like About This Sprayer
What Users Say About this Sprayer
Many users suggest the Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer is the definitive upgrade for those who have historically preferred brushes and rollers. It simplifies the labor of any project. Even those who have had minor difficulties with assembly or operations have given highly favorable reports on the customer service experience they received interacting with agents answering the toll-free number. Weekend warriors and DIY experts alike have reported consistent paint output and high satisfaction with the outcomes of their projects. Most unfavorable feedback has highlighted the fact that the machine requires cleaning after each use and is not ideal for a first-time user. These users preferred a more instantaneous project solution.
Overall, the Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer gives you a lot of mileage for the investment. It is well-made and durable while maintaining its light weight for easy use. An illustrated owner’s manual provides easy-to-follow instructions for those who have questions about how to operate the machine. There is even a DVD to help you improve techniques and troubleshoot any issues. Although the setup time is a little longer than it is for traditional roller painting or using brushes, the outcome with the Magnum X5 is usually much quicker and smoother than conventional applications. The affordable price point with free shipping is an incentive for the budget conscious buyer, but the big payoff is high quality with minimal effort.