Wagner 0518080 Control Max HVLP Sprayer Review
If you are on the lookout for a versatile sprayer, then look no further than the Wagner Control Max HVLP Sprayer. You will hardly find any sprayer in this price range, which offers three different spray patterns and dual air filters. Apart from this, the flexible air hose of this sprayer allows you to access every corner of the work area. While putting it through its paces, I found that its light weight allowed me to use it for extended periods without any strain on my hands.
The sprayer can handle a wide range of painting jobs —
this is one of the few sprayers available, which is suitable for a wide assortment of painting tasks. It does not dent your wallet as it retails around $100 bucks, which is more than reasonable given the functionalities it boasts of and the accessories it ships with. This beauty looks more like a vacuum cleaner and generates the same amount of noise. I appreciated the 20 feet hose provided with the sprayer, as it would allow me to comfortably paint a small room without moving the sprayer. Apart from being easy to control, this sprayer handles various kinds of stains and paints efficiently. I strongly suggest that you read this Wagner Control Max Sprayer review in its entirety to understand the capabilities of this gadget.
Top Questions and answers
My take on this sprayer
Ideal for hobbyists as well
I suggest hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts to try this sprayer, as it provides you the freedom to learn the tricks of the trade by experimenting. The ease of use of this spray painter ensures that you can focus on the painting task without worrying about the sprayer. Go ahead, buy one today and put it through its paces… you will be glad you did.
Dual phase turbines and variable speed fan
The dual phase powerful turbines ensure that this sprayer can easily handle thick material reliably and efficiently. This unit also boasts of a variable speed fan, which you can change according to the viscosity of the material. Obviously, the thicker the material, the higher the fan speed required. The flow control dial is located in the rear side of the sprayer. Painting the nook and corner of any job is easy, thanks to the 20 feet hose supplied with the machine.
Designed keeping hobbyists in mind too
The manufacturers have included accessories to make life easier for the user, especially the hobbyists. For example, you can determine the density of the material used with the help of the included `viscosity cup.’ Not all sprayers are perfect and the Wagner Max HVLP Sprayer too has some drawbacks. Apart from the short power supply cord, the unit keeps on blowing air continuously. The sole function of the trigger is to release paint. This unit takes more time than others when it boils down to painting large surfaces due to the small amount of material it discharges per minute.
• Turbine and fan: The powerful dual stage turbine that this unit contains can easily spray most liquids, irrespective of their viscosity. This allows you to undertake a wide spectrum of painting jobs with this sprayer. It works perfectly on large surfaces and is the sprayer of choice when you want to paint furniture, garage doors, or windows. Obviously, the variable speed fan of this unit plays a huge role too. Increase its speed when using liquids with high viscosity and decrease its speed when painting with low density paint.
• Spray patterns: The Wagner 0518080 boasts of three different spray patterns, which are dependant on the alignment of the air cap and the nozzle. For high and oval patterns use the horizontal air cap, employ the vertical air cap for broad and oval pattern. If you want a symmetrical spray pattern, make use of the diagonal air cap.
• Variable air pressure control: This control allows you to control the air pressure from 1.5 psi to 2.63 psi, and helps reduce over spraying of liquids of low viscosity such as liquors and stains. Overall, this unit consistently provides the best results irrespective of the density of the material.
• Switch: The manufacturers have been thoughtful enough to put the on/off switch on the top of the turbine’s carrying handle. This allows you to effortlessly activate or deactivate power supply to the unit.
• Maintenance and cleanup: Cleaning the Wagner 0518080 is a piece of cake. Simply use mineral spirit for cleaning oil based paint, and soapy water for latex based paint. The unit also contains two air filters that trap dust and prevent it from depositing on the object being painted. You should replace these filters when they get dirty.
• Variable air pressure control
• 20 feet hose
• Adjustable flow control
• Three spray patterns
• High grade metal cup
• Huge 1.5 quart plastic cup
Who can use this sprayer?
This model is basically aimed at hobbyists and do it yourself enthusiasts. It is the best bet for painting small areas. However, one can paint large areas as well, but the time taken is much more when compared with other sprayers, because of the small quantity of paint it releases per minute. If you have sufficient time to complete painting your room, then the Wagner 0518080 is ideal for you. However, if you want to get the job completed in a day or two, then look for a heavy duty sprayer and also be prepared to seriously dent your bank balance.
Suitable for everyone
The simple to use controls and the ability to spray a wide range of liquids puts this unit ahead of others. If you are planning to get into the craft of spray painting, opt for the Wagner 0518080. You can be sure that you will not get a better and more versatile spray painter at its price range. Outstanding features, lightweight unit, and easy clean up process makes this unit the favorite amongst both hobbyists and professionals.
What I did not like about this sprayer
Although the Wagner Max HVLP Sprayer boasts of many features, considering the price it is being offered at, I would prefer that the manufacturers put this unit in the elite grade by including a longer power cord. Although the noise made by the machine is the same as that of a vacuum cleaner, the manufacturers can easily solve this problem by including a noise dampening unit.
Incessant release of air
I also hated the way the sprayer kept on releasing air even after I removed my finger from the spray trigger. Releasing the spray trigger only stops the flow of paint, but the flow of air from the unit does not halt. This can easily lead to dust in the room being deposited on the freshly painted surface. I do not mind paying more for this unit if the manufacturers take care of the problems mentioned above.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Can I use this unit to paint large surfaces?
A: You can use the Wagner 0518080 to paint large surfaces, but it will take more time that costlier sprayers.
Q: Can I use liquids of various viscosities?
A: This unit supports all types of liquids. Simply adjust the airflow with the controller.
Q: Do you provide warranty?
A: The sprayer ships with a one year warranty from the date of purchase. The manufacturer will either repair or replace the damaged part as long as you operate the unit in accordance with Wagner’s printed instructions and recommendations.
What do users say about this sprayer?
If you are a hobbyist and are on the lookout for a high quality sprayer without burning a hole in your pocket, opt for the Wagner Max HVLP Sprayer. It completes small painting jobs with ease and efficiency. The wide range of liquids this unit can handle puts it above other sprayers that cost much more. The number of five stars this sprayer has received on Amazon is mute testimony of its capabilities.